TAISM Counseling Services
Counselors are an integral part of the educational team at TAISM. There is a counselor at TAISM at each divisional level. Counselors at TAISM are trained to provide short-term individual and group counseling to address mental, physical, and emotional concerns that may be impacting student's learning and/or their wellbeing. If a student requires long term counseling, counselors can assist with locating resources outside of school to help support your child. TAISM counselors offer support and information to parents in a variety of ways: individual meetings, email, newsletter, parent forums, etc. Parents are encouraged to conference with their child's counselor by phone, email or in person regarding any aspect of their child's well being while at TAISM.
The role of the counselor at the Middle School level
- Assists and orients new students and their parents to TAISM throughout the year as needed, as well as providing follow-up during the transition period once they have been enrolled. The MS Counselor also facilitates the exiting process when students leave TAISM.
- Coordinates referrals from teachers and parents and facilitates student support meetings.
- Addresses academic, social and emotional concerns about students expressed by students themselves, other students, teachers, administrators and parents.
- Provides outside psychological resources in the community and serves as a resource to families.
- Coordinates external testing.
- Supports and assists students entering the middle school from 5th grade and those leaving the middle school to enter high school.
- Provides resources for the Advisory program and provides lessons as needed in order to reach the Advisory objectives.
- Co-teaches certain aspects of the Middle School Health curriculum.
All of these activities and duties can make a real difference in student's lives, improving their self-understanding and self-confidence, motivation, decision-making, goal-setting, planning and problem solving, interpersonal relationships, communication skills, respect for others and more.
Middle School Counselor
A collection of parenting books are available in the library and in my office.
Kids Health: http://kidshealth.org/
Kid Source: http://www.kidsource.com/